Tuesday, May 1, 2012


Elephantine Tuberculoid Leprosy

Well, this was a free-for-all, with some players entering more than twenty possibilities, some of which  were completely made up out of whole cloth (Bowchickawowow Dz) and some others of which were entirely credible.  Many of the syndromes named indeed had lymphedema, but were either bilateral, or not in healthy people or had other associated signs that were not present in this guy, who, by the way, came from a French book on derm that I have in my library.  I gave as much latitude as I could to each and every suggestion, but some did not meet the credibility criteria, or would have been such an outlier of the disease so as not to be fairly represented.

Here are the diseases I permitted to score as correct:
1. Leprosy
2. Maffucci's Syndrome
3. Cavernous Lymphangioma
4. Filariasis in all its forms 
5. Podoconiosis (my favorite of these dxes)
6. Kaposi's Sarcoma
7. Neurofibromatosis
8. Proteus Syndrome
9. Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome
10. Chondrosarcoma (I was REALLY liberal with allowing this one, but enough of you tried it, so I allowed it)
11. Lymphangiosarcoma
12. Arteriovenous Malformation
13. Lymphedema secondary to malignancy
14. Onchocerciasis 

Congrats to Emily for winning by two points, and for being the first two-time winner (having won once last year).  So, everybody enjoy your time off, and I will be back in a couple of weeks to challenge you again.  Emily, you get to choose next month's varietal!  



No comments:

Post a Comment