Sunday, March 25, 2012



The Best Damn Band in the Land

The Ohio State University is not my alma mater (Miami of Ohio is), and I never played a band instrument in my life, but growing up in Columbus, listening to the Ohio State Marching Band play Fight on Down the Field, or watching them do "Script Ohio" are two of the goofy pleasures of my life.  Growing up in Columbus and being an OSU fan is much like growing up in Dublin, Ireland.  Almost everyone in Dublin is Roman Catholic, and almost everyone in Columbus can give you a blow-by-blow account of the last OSU-Michigan game.  It's religion, sort of.  

When my son, who did play saxophone in the University of Florida's marching band, went with the Gators to the BCS National Championship game versus OSU, his comment was this:  "We beat them in football" (I don't want to talk about that)"but, they were the best marching band I ever saw." Well said, Danny Boy.  Well said.

No comments:

Post a Comment